Hückeswagen Castle and Heimatmuseum (local museum)
Hückeswagen Castle is right on the spur of a mountain above Hückeswagen town centre. The town landmark was first mentioned in 1189 but the Count of Hückeswagen was mentioned as early as 1138. In 1260, the Earldom of Hückeswagen was sold to the Count of Berg and it was lived in until 1800. In the decades that followed, the castle visibly deteriorated. It was only after it went into private ownership that Hückeswagen Castle was extensively restored in the mid-19th century.
The Heimatmuseum (local museum), which is worth seeing, is located in the north wing and focuses on Bergisch domestic culture of the 18th and 19th centuries as well as defining Bergisch crafts. Its medieval history is documented in certificates and seals of the major Counts and Lords of the castle. Various historical films are shown on a modern video screen. The Heimatmuseum is open on Sundays from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm and on the first Saturday of every month from 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm or by appointment. Entrance is free.
In addition to the historical fountains, the castle garden and historical pavilion were also saved.
After visiting the castle, a walk around the historical old town is also worthwhile.
|Sunday: 11 am to 1 pm|
every first Saturday from 2.30 pm to 4.30 pm