Ruins of the fortress Windeck

The ruins of a fortress give a little impression of the size of the former wide fortress. Today, the ruins of a fortress Windeck is classified as a historical monument.

The formerly impressive fortress was mentioned in a document for the first time in 1174 as “Neu-Windeck”. The fortress served as border fortifications of the Earl von Berg against the Earls von Sayn (Homberg) and the Messrs. von Blankenberg. After 1435, the border fortifications was widely expanded. The fortress was destroyed in the Thirty Years’ War and in 1672 by the French, and was never re-established. Since then it had been serving as a quarry. In 1960, the ruins were restored, the palace walls newly erected and the donjon safeguarded. In the 1980s, archaeological examinations and conservation works were carried out, and the ground plan was found, which gave an idea of the impressing dimensions of the fortress. Today, the ruins of a fortress Windeck are classified as a historical monument.

Address

An der Burgruine
51570 Windeck
Burg Windeck
Burg Windeck Luftaufnahme
Burg Windeck
Burg Windeck Familien Ausblick
Burg Windeck
Burg Windeck Ausblick