From Neunkirchen, the route leads into the forested Wendbachtal valley up to Niederwennerscheid. After the picturesque Wahnbachtal valley near Hausermühle, a further climb takes you to the main town in the municipality: Seelscheid. Parallel to the popular arterial road, the ancient Zeithstraße, the route leads through meadows and fields to a viewing point with a breathtaking panorama. A further highlight is the three crowns linden near Pohlhausen. The route then leads past Hochhausen and Franzhäuschen to Gut Umschoß and the Wahnbachtalsperre dam near Seligental. Shortly after Wolperath, you come to the centre of the municipality, Neunkirchen. Even from a distance, the tower of St. Margareta’s Catholic church, the symbol of Neunkirchen, can be seen. The town offers numerous places to stop for refreshments as well as e-bike hire and charging stations.
Highlights along the route:
- Wahnbachtalsperre: A delightful view of the Wahnbachtalsperre reservoir opens up here. From this location above the forested hillside, you can see the lake and its stone wall. On clear days, the Siebengebirge can also be seen in the distance.
- Wiescheid Roadside Crucifix: Decorated richly with carvings, the approx. 200 year old devotional and passion crucifix depicts symbols of the suffering of the passion and religions motifs. It’s colouration tends to have a particular effect on those who look at it.
- Saint Margareta’s Catholic Church: The centre point and symbol of the town of Neunkirchen is Saint Margareta’s Catholic Church. The church in its current form dates back to 1140/50. The decorative paintings in the cupola of the oldest part of the building are worth particular mention.
- Cathedral view: In good weather, you can see as far as the Rhine valley from here, where the Cologne panorama including the cathedral, Colonius Tower, the Lanxess Arena and the Messeturm can clearly be seen.
- Three Crowns Linden: On the way into the town there is an ancient linden into which three crowns are carved. These symbolise the Trinity and provide a natural landmark that can be seen from far and wide.