© Dominik Ketz


Short facts

  • Burscheid

Eine Wassermühle in Betrieb.

Lambertsmühle in the densely forested Wiehbachtal valley near Burscheid is an ensemble which, in addition to the mill, includes a stable, a carriage house and a barn, and has been a protected monument since 1983.

Lambertsmühle was the seigneurial mill of the "Haus Landscheid” manor house. The manor house as a fiefdom and thus the mill as well were built when the Bergisches Land was settled in the 12th century. The farmers who lived on farmland belonging to the manor house were obliged to have their grain milled at the seigneurial mill and have their dues deducted at the same time.

The mill is said to have gotten its current name from a “Lambert” born in 1570, who lived at the mill with the privilege of the Lord of Landscheid.

Under the name "Hunds-Mühle", it remained in the possession of the Lords of Landscheid until 1751, the middle of three old Burscheid ‘Honnschaften’ or ‘Hundschaften’ (administrative districts) around the manor houses of Grünscheid, Landscheid and Bellinghausen.

Peter Busch, the last tenant of the mill, acquired the property in 1751 from the noble possession of the Baron of Hall zu Landscheid and sold the mill after a decade to the miller Philipp Klein. In February 1766, the mill burnt down. It was reported that the housemaid was murdered by the farmhand because of an alleged pregnancy and burnt in the feed room.

The mill was immediately rebuilt in its current form in 1766. Above the preserved oak "Klöntüre" (stable doors) of the entrance to the house, an inscription in sandstone bears testament to the rebuilding:

"Philipp Klein and Anne Beckers, husband and wife, bought this mill and started the building in 1766: God bless our entrance, our exit too. Bless our daily bread, bless all our doings, grant us a blessed death and the inheritance of heaven amen”. The Klein family remained the owners of the mill estate until 1858.

In the period that followed up until 1916, the Conrad family owned the mill as millers and bakers. In the wake of a disagreement regarding inheritance, it was finally transferred to the family of Wilhelm Maibüchen. The bread bakery that was integrated into the mill stopped production in 1942, whereas the milling and grinding operation was continued by Ernst Maibüchen until December 1956, the last of the family of millers and bakers to operate Lambertsmühle. It then became a victim of the factory-like large-scale mills and the feed mill industry.

The mill estate became a protected monument shortly before the widow Erna Maibüchen passed away in 1983. Lambertsmühle is one of the most beautifully preserved mills in the town district of Burscheid. It is a popular hiking destination near Burscheid, on the Bergisches Land Ritterpfad (Knight’s Trail) and the route between (Leverkusen-) Lützenkirchen and Altenberg, in the heart of this historically significant landscape.


51399 Burscheid

Phone: + 49 2174 / 814 - 7
Website: www.xn--lambertsmhle-burscheid-0lc.de

Next steps

It appears that you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer as your web browser to access our site.

For practical and security reasons, we recommend that you use a current web browser such as Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, or Edge. Internet Explorer does not always display the complete content of our website and does not offer all the necessary functions.